QUALIFYING PROCEDURES FOR
OPERATORS OF ACETYLENE GENERATING PLANT
percent of the testing procedure. Each question has a
Personnel selected for testing should have
weight of two (2). The passing grade is 85 percent.
credit for high school chemistry or physics, or have a
standard score of 45 or higher on GED test 3, high
Personnel failing this test will not be permitted
school level. They should also have normal color
to proceed to the performance test, such failure will
perception, good hearing ability and a standard score of
disqualify the student for licensing until he has
95 or higher in aptitude area GM of the Army
completed a retraining period on the technical aspects
of the equipment.
This test consists of fifty (50) true or false and
multiple choice type questions and represents 40
TEST QUESTIONS FOR ACETYLENE GENERATING PLANT
Answer these questions by "True" or "False"
If the supply water is at a temperature of 70 or above, it must be passed through the heat exchanger
C2H2 is the formula for acetylene in the pure state but the impurities in our form of production changes the
formula to COC2H2(OH).
The acetylene compressor is driven by a three phase motor.
The air compressor discharges at approximately 40 psig.
The purpose of the chock valve in the flashback arrestor is to prevent the water from draining back into the
Always leave the resting position of the throat cleaner handle in the horizontal position so that there is no
possibility of the throat being collapsed during operation.
There are four intercoolers to remove moisture in the acetylene compression system.
Fusible plugs on the acetylene cylinder may be removed and replaced if defective by the operator.
The air used in the safety control instruments fluctuates between 15 and 30 psig even though the compressor
puts out 40 psig.
10. The generator tank check valve operates on air pressure.
11. The pulsator mechanism is employed to agitate the carbide valve.
12. The high and tow level alarm controller operates the residue drain valve.
13. The pressure setting for the standby hopper is two pounds lower than the acting on the operating hopper.
14. An increase in acetylene tank pressure causes the carbide valve to open wider and admit more carbide.
15. The inlet water valve must be kept closed during operation except when adding water to the compressor tank.
16. Make up water is delivered to the heat exchanger automatically during operation.
17. All water pumps are operated manually during normal operation.
18. All safety instruments must be adjusted daily to compensate for adverse operating conditions.
19. Acetone is used in acetylene cylinders because it acts as a stabilizing agent for acetylene.
20. Excessive pressure in the first or second stage of the acetylene compressor indicates valve trouble in the
next higher stage.
Multiple Choice Questions
Each of the following questions or statements is followed by four possible choices. There is only one best choice Read
each question carefully and mark an X through the letter representing the best choice.