QUALIFYING PROCEDURES FOR OPERATORS OF RAILROAD
g. Completion of required forms In accordance
1. Personnel selected for testing should have credit for
with TM 38-750.
a High School diploma and/or equivalent, and a
standard score of 100 or higher in aptitude area GM of
4. Physical Requirements.
Army classification battery
a. Good near, far and night vision.
2. The purpose of these tests is to determine if the
b. Color discrimination.
personnel selected for licensing have sufficient technical
c. Good auditory acuity.
and maintenance knowledge to recognize malfunctions
d. Manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
and/or deficiencies of Railway Equipment.
3. Special Skills and Knowledge.
5. These tests consist of multiple choice and true and
a. Nomenclature of mechanical parts of railway
false questions and represent fifty (50) percent of the
equipment and their primary function.
Passing grade is 85 percent.
b. Key inspection points.
Personnel failing to pass this test will not be permitted to
c. Lubrication requirements.
proceed with the operational test. Operational test will
d. Air brake handling.
represent fifty (50) percent including air brake handling
e. Operating and safety rules.
test as required.
f. Be able to read and interpret railway signal and
OPERATORS LICENSING TESTS (LOCOMOTIVES)
A. The following questions are multiple choice Check the correct answer
1. You are called for a locomotive that will operate In the yards You will check your tools and onboard spares
a. You might need a light bulb.
b. It is listed In the preoperational check list.
c. You don't check them.
2. Your tools and onboard spares are listed in the following manner:
a. List fastened on cab wall.
b. Operators Manual -10 Issued with the locomotive.
c. No list.
3. As you approach your locomotive afoot, you notice water leaking from under the hood Would you:
a. Investigate immediately.
b. Check brake travel.
c. Start engine, then investigate.
4. What is a diesel-electric locomotive:
a. A locomotive with a diesel engine.
b. A locomotive with a diesel engine and traction motors.
c. A locomotive with a diesel engine, driving a generator, which in turn drives traction motors attached to
each pair of wheels.
5. If a two cycle engine requires two strokes to complete one cycle, how many strokes does it take a four
cycle engine to complete one cycle:
6. Before you leave the ready track you are required to make a series of checks or tests What are these called:
a. Check up