a. Running at idle.
b. Hot running.
c. When maintenance is required.
8. To reverse the direction of a motor car, the operator will:
a. Stop the car and move lever into reverse by means of the transmission and clutch, proceed in the opposite
b. Place throttle in idle position and move reverse lever into reverse.
c. Turn car around.
9. Care should be taken and at each road crossing the car should be stopped and:
a. Turned around.
b. Flagged across the crossing and/or stop and proceed with caution.
c. Blow horn and proceed.
10. The following is a list of safety rules to be followed by the operator One rule is not applicable to this list:
a. The motor car should be operated by authorized personnel only.
b. Never allow the rail car to set on a track unattended.
c. Never board or dismount from a moving motor car.
d. Avoid sudden starts and stops.
e. Keep side steps free of dirt and oil.
f. In cold weather, the choke should be used in starting the engine.
g. Keep tools in tool trays.
h. Do not overload, all personnel should be seated before car is moved.
B. The following 20 questions are true and false. Use one answer only.
1. To move the car after the engine is running and a preoperatlonal check has been made, proceed as follows:
a. Push clutch pedal forward to disengage clutch
b. Push reverse lever from neutral to forward position
c. Move gear shift lever from neutral to forward position
d. Let clutch out gradually until clutch is engaged
e. Open throttle and pick up speed gradually
f. Shift to second gear and then third In a like manner
2. To stop the car, push the throttle lever to idle Push clutch in and move gear shift lever to neutral Let clutch out
gradually and apply brakes as desired.
3. If the engine is cold, use choke to assist in starting After choke has been pulled out, it may be left in this position.
4. The wheels will not spin when car is in low gear if the throttle Is opened rapidly.
5. When car is to be used to pull loaded trailers the operator must be sure that proper couplers are used.
6. The use of chains to pull loaded trailers is dangerous.
7. A motor car must never be used to push loaded cars unless they are coupled properly.
8. It is not necessary to sound a warning when car or trailers are moved.
9. A complete understanding must be had between operators and men when coupling and uncoupling cars.
10. A trailer or a push car when coupled to a motor car is the responsibility of the motor car operator.
11. Motor cars must be operated in a safe and sane manner as safety is of the first importance in discharge of your
12. Rule 802 TM 55-200 states a track car be operated only by a qualified operator Properly qualified operators will
have in their possession at all times a valid operator's permit (Standard Form 46, U.S. Government Motor Vehicle
Operators Identification Card).
13. Hand cars may be used on main lines without being attached to motor cars.
14. All operators of motor cars must have a copy of TM 55-200.
15. Personnel whose duties are in any way affected by the time table will be provided with a copy of the current time
table and will carry It when on duty This does not affect a motor car operator.
16. The operator will not permit unauthorized persons to operate motor car.
17. The operator is not required to stop when a burning fuse Is observed on or near the track he is on.
18. The explosion of torpedoes is a signal to proceed at restricted speed A motor car is not required to reduce speed.