3-140. ANCHOR WINCH ENGINE - MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS (Continued).
General Information - Detroit Diesel N-71 (Cont)
Always wear protective eye goggles
when working with compressed air.
4. When using compressed air to clean a component such as an air silencer, use a safe amount of air.
Recommendations regarding the use of air are indicated throughout the manual. Too much air can
rupture or in some other way damage a component and create a hazardous situation that can lead to
5. Avoid the use of carbon tetrachloride as a cleaning agent because of the harmful vapors that it
releases. Use perchlorethylene or trichlorethylene. However, while less toxic than other chlorinated
solvents, use these cleaning agents with caution. Be sure the work area is adequately ventilated and
use protective gloves, goggles or face shield and apron.
Exercise caution against burns when using oxalic acid to clean the cooling passages of the engine.
6. Avoid excessive injection of ether into the engine during start attempts. Follow the instructions on the
container of the starting aid.
7. When working on an engine that is running, accidental contact with the hot exhaust manifold can
cause severe burns. Remain alert to the location of the rotating pulleys and belts.
(10) Engine Specifications - (Less Major Assemblies).
Specifications, clearances and wear limits are listed below. It should be specifically noted that the
clearances apply only when all new parts are used at the point where the various specifications apply. This also
applies to references within the text of the manual. The column entitled "Limits" in this chart lists the amount of
wear or increase in clearance which can be tolerated in used engine parts and still ensure satisfactory
performance. It should be emphasized that the figures given as "Limits" must be qualified by the judgement of
the personnel responsible for installing new parts. These wear limits are, in general, listed only for the parts
more frequently replaced in engine overhaul work. For additional information, refer to the text.