ENGINE TIMING - MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS (Continued).
(12) Rotate the crankshaft opposite the direction of rotation slowly until the hand on the dial indicator just
(13) Rotate the crankshaft opposite the direction of rotation until the indicator hand just starts to move.
Reset the dial to "0". Continue turning the crankshaft slowly until the indicator reading is .010 inch -
then stop turning.
(14) Scribe a second line on the vibration damper in the same manner as in step (11).
(15) Scribe a third line halfway between the first two lines. This is positive top dead-center. The three
scribed lines are shown on the crankshaft pulley. Remove the indicator from the engine.
Make certain that the crankshaft pulley retaining bolts are not loosened
while turning the crankshaft. The bolt must be tightened to 290-310 lb.
ft. (393.2-420.4 Nm) torque if it becomes loose.
(16) Install the injector assembly. Swing injector and valve rocker arms back into position and install
rocker arm brackets and tighten bolts to the specified torque. Adjust the valve clearance and time
the injector. Rotate the crankshaft until the exhaust valves in the selected cylinder are open.
(17) Install the dial indicator again so spindle of the indicator rests on top of the injector follower as
illustrated. Set the indicator dial to " " Rotate the crankshaft slowly in the direction of rotation, and
stop when the TDC mark on the vibration damper or crankshaft pulley lines up with the pointer.