(1) Lubricate thrust washers (4) and install on idler shaft.
The idler gears (2) have index marks that must be
aligned with index marks on the crankshaft and
camshaft gears. If the marks are not aligned the engine
timing will not be correct and the engine will be
damaged (FIG. 3-20).
(2) Lubricate bushings (3, FIG. 3-17) and idler shafts with Lubriplate.
(3) Install gears (2). Align the timing marks.
The grooves in the thrust washers (1) must be toward
the idler gears. Failure will result if the thrust washers
are installed wrong.
(4) Lubricate thrust washers (1) and install on idler shafts. Install retainer and capscrew on idler shaft.
If capscrew has a flange head, tighten to 215 ft-lb (290 N m). If capscrew does not have a flange
head, tighten to 185 ft-lb (250 N m).
c. Measure front gear train backlash.
(1) Position dial indicator on a gear as shown in FIG. 3-21.
The adjacent (engaging) gear must not turn.
FIGURE 3-20. Idler Gear Timing Marks.