D-1. Scope. SAE capscrews are graded according to the strength of the capscrew. They are marked on the
head so the correct strength and torque value are known. The tables in this appendix will list the capscrew
markings with correct torque values as well as values for pipe plugs and metric bolts.
If replacement capscrews are of a higher grade than originally
supplied, adhere to torque specifications for that placement.
2. Do not use these listed values in place of those specified in other sections of this manua;l special
attention should be observed when using SAE Grade 6, 7 and 8 capscrews.
3. This listing is based on use of clean, dry threads.
4. Reduce torque by 10% when engine oil is used as a lubricant.
5. Reduce torque by 20% if new plated capscrews are used.
6. Capscrews threaded into aluminum may require reductions in torque of 30% or more of Grade 5
capscrews torque and must attain two capscrew diameters of thread engagement.