In this procedure, when you replace the motor, you will align the motor adapter, using a dial indicator. Correct
alignment of the adapter to the motor shaft is very important.
Mount motor adapter (7) on new motor assembly with drain hole on the
bottom and install adapter machine bolts (5) to a snug fit, allowing for
final alignment to the motor shaft.
To accomplish final alignment of the motor adapter, perform the following
tasks. (FIGURE 2-2, Detail A)
(1) Position motor and adapter assembly on motor end.
(2) Place a dial indicator on the shaft for reading the run out between the
motor shaft and the casing. See FIGURE 2-2, Detail A.
(3) While rotating the motor shaft, gently tap the motor adapter with a soft
headed hammer to bring the total indicator run out to less than .002
This tolerance is closer than the fit between the
motor face and adapter.
(4) Once the adapter is aligned, tighten the adapter machine bolts (6) to
150 ft-lbs torque.
Install the deflector (12, FIGURE 2-3) and shaft sleeve gland (25) on the
motor shaft. Install lubricating sealant between the shaft and shaft
Install the mechanical seal (24) using the following tasks.
(1) Install the rotating and stationary elements of the seal (24), with
wearing surfaces facing each other, ontothe shaft sleeve (11).
(2) Position the seal on sleeve according to the dimension shown in FICURE
2-2, Detail B.
(a) Place the seal spring retainer (5) into the stuffing box (2)
(b) Install seal coil (4) spring into stuffing box (2).
(c) Install sleeve and seal assembly into stuffing box (2) with rotating
half of seal (3) installed closest to the impeller (6).