(4) Remove pipe plug in stuffing box and fill cavity with type P-3 preservative.
(5) Seal end of stuffing box with waterproof tape.
This tape will have to be removed and replaced when
the shaft is rotated.
(6) Remove waterproof tape and rotate pump shaft 10-15 time every 15 days,
ensuring that the shaft comes to rest in a different position each time.
Replace waterproof tape at end of stuffing box.
If the pump will remain in storage longer than 12
months, repeat the storage preparations every 12
(7) Inspect the casing area once every 30 days for moisture and replace
type P-3 preservatives as required.
Long-term Storage, Pump Removed (Over 30 days). Preparation for storage
under these conditions is the same as for shot-term (paragraphs b.1
through b.4), except that the shaft will be rotated 10-15 times every 10
days, ensuring that the shaft comes to rest in a different position each
2-17. Preparation For Operation of Bilge/Ballast Pump . The following tasks cover
preparation of pump for operation when removed from storage, short or long term.
Preparation for Operation of Pumps in Shipping Containers, Short or Long-term Storage.
(1) Move pump to a staging area prior to installation and remove cover from container.
(2) Remove flange covers, tape, and all unnecessary pipe plugs.
(3) Remove drain plug from stuffing box and drain preservative, flushing
pump and stuffing box with clean fresh water for approximately 5
(4) Dry out pump and stuffing box with compressed air. Pump is now ready