This tolerance is closer than that of the fit between
the motor face and the motor adapter.
(6) Once the motor adapter is positioned, tighten the four capscrews
holding the motor adapter to the motor to 25 ft-lbs torque.
Assemble the Stuffing Box.
(1) Install the rotating and stationary elements of the mechanical seal (33)
on the shaft sleeve (15) having the two wearing surfaces facing each
(2) Position the seal on the sleeve according to the dimension in FIGURE
2-2, Detail B.
(a) Place the seal spring retainer (5) into the stuffing box (2).
(b) Place the seal spring (4) into the stuffing box (2).
(c) Place the sleeve and seal assembly into stuffing box (2) with
rotating half of seal (3) installed closest to impeller (6).
(3) Install the packing gland (34) (flat side toward stuffing box) on the
stuffing box using the gland studs (17) and gland nuts (18).
(4) Secure gland nuts (18) evenly until the gland (34) is about 1/8 inch
from the stuffing box.
(5) Slide the deflector ring (16) onto the motor shaft.
(6) Install the wear rings (23 and 29) with hydraulic press.
(7) Slide the stuffing box cover (31), seal (33), and sleeve assembly onto
the motor shaft.
Be sure the stuffing box is closest to the motor
(8) To prevent any leakage, put lubricating sealant between the shaft and
(9) Bolt the motor adapter to the stuffing box using capscrews.
(1) Slide the spacer sleeve (20) over the shaft sleeve (15) and into the