(3) Remove four countersunk screws (5) securing front plate (3) and wheel controller (1) to
control console (4).
(4) Remove wheel controller and front plate from interior of control console.
(5) Remove four capscrews (2) securing wheel controller to front plate.
Repair at this level of maintenance is by replacement of gyro interface assembly (1, Figure 3-100) and
helm unit wheel controller (1, Figure 3-101).
a. Replace Wheel Controller. Helm Unit.
(1) Position wheel controller (1, Figure 3-101) on front plate (3) and secure with four capscrews
(2) Position wheel controller and front plate in control console (4). Make sure setscrew (6) goes
into the proper hole.
(3) Secure wheel controller, helm unit to control console (4) with four countersunk screws (5).
(4) Install shaft key (8).
(5) Slide wheel (2, Figure 3-99) over shaft key and shaft.
(6) Secure with capscrew (9, Figure 3-101) and washer (10).
b. Replace Gyro Interface Assembly.
(1) Position gyro interface assembly (1, Figure 3-100) on starboard side (interior) of pilothouse
(2) Secure assembly to rear of control console with four capscrews (2).
(3) Connect electrical wiring to cable fittings (3) and remove tags.
(4) Replace access panel (3, Figure 3-99) and secure to pilothouse control console (1) with two
latching screws (4).
(5) Restore electrical power to control console and remove warning tags.