d. Mark the sixteen hex head capscrews (22) securing shaft coupling flange (16) to reduction gearbox to
the holes on the coupling to ensure the capscrews are replaced in the same position.
e. Remove the sixteen hex head capscrews (22) and hex nuts (21) securing shaft coupling flange (16) to
f. Slide shaft coupling flange (16) aft enough on shaft (7) to expose coupling nut (19).
g. The forward lock bar (20) is tack welded to the coupling nut (19) and will not come off the coupling nut
h. Using special purpose wrench made from specifications on Sheet 2, remove shaft coupling nut (19,
Sheet 1) and lock bar (20) from shaft (7).
i. Remove socket head capscrew (18) securing shaft coupling machine key (17) to shaft (7), and remove
j. Depot maintenance is required to remove propeller (31 or 32) and the propeller cone nut (1), hex nut
(2), allen socket set screw (3), cord packing material (4), socket head capscrew (5), and shaft key (6).
k. Use suitable equipment to remove shaft (7) from vessel, being careful not to damage stern tube and
bearing and strut tube and bearing.
a. Disassemble stuffing box assembly and replace packing and end plate gasket. Refer to Chapter 3 .
b. Remove stern tube bearing (33, Sheet 3) as follows:
(1) Remove lock wire (35) from four hex head capscrews (36).
(2) Loosen four hex head capscrews (36) securing bearing (33) to end plate (37).
(3) Remove chock fast orange resin from stern tube void.
(4) Remove alignment studs (37A).
(5) Remove four hex head capscrews (36) securing bearing (33) to end plate (37).
(6) Remove bearing (33) and John Crane zip joint packing (34) from stern tube end plate (37).