(6) Open fuel supply and return valves at each
tank (fig. 2-13).
(7) Disengage the two ramp hoist pump
clutches (fig. 2-25).
(8) Open the hydraulic steering suction valve
(9) Open one of the two hydraulic starting.
the two starting system tank valves (fig. 2-17) or suction
valves (fig. 2-18).
b. Starting the Engines.
(1) Figure 2-1 provides engine starting
instructions for hull numbers 8500 thru 8519 and 8520
thru 8539. Figure 2-32 provides engine starting
instructions for hull numbers 8540 thru 8560 and 8580
(2) As engines warm up, check operating
temperatures and pressures.
(3) Hydraulic dead start. If there is insufficient
pressure in accumulators, the hand pump may be used
to -provide initial starting pressure as follows:
2-20) and (on hull numbers 8500 thru 8519) open the
starting tank valve (fig. 2-17).
(b) Open hand pump discharge valve (fig.
(c) Pump accumulators with hand pump,
to 2000 psi minimum.
(d) Close hand pump discharge valve.
(e) Start engine by pushing button (hull
numbers 8500 thru 8519 and 8540 thru 8560 and 8580
thru 8618) or pulling handle (hull numbers 8520 thru
8539) in pilot house or by actuating the valve (fig. 2-10) in
the engine room.
(4) Emergency starting. The outboard engine
of each propulsion unit has an electric starter and each
inboard engine has a hydraulic starter. If either the
electric system or the hydraulic system should fail, one
engine of a propulsion unit can be used to start the other
B. HULL NO. 8520 THRU 8539
by actuating the clutches.
c. Starting Engine with Engine Room Controls.
Figure 2-10. Hydraulic starting control valves in engine
Engines can be started and operated by using controls in
a. Preparation for starting.
Stopping the Engines
(1) Perform the before-operation services
Figure 2-33 provides engine stopping instructions for hull
numbers 8500 thru 8519 and 8520 thru 8539. Figure 2-34
(2) Lubricate the landing craft as specified in
provides engine stopping instructions for hull numbers
the current lubrication order.
8540 thru 8560 and 8580 thru 8618.
(3) Open the two sea water seacocks (para 2-1b(13)).
(4) Open the four sea water discharge valves
1/2 open (fig. 2-13).
(5) Disengage the three bilge pump clutches on
hull numbers 8540 thru 8560 and 8580 thru 8618 (fig. 1-14.1).
Change 1 2-14.1/(2-14.2 blank)